Monday, May 4, 2009

Shakespeare And Texas

From the movie "Orange County":

Mr. Burke: Now, when I say "Romeo and Juliet," who comes to mind?

Dana: Claire Danes?

Mr. Burke: That's right, Claire Danes. Who else?

Chad: Leonardo DiCaprio.

Mr. Burke: Right. Who else? Well, you know someone else was involved in that movie who in some ways is as famous as Leonardo Di Caprio. And his name is William Shakespeare. And some great movies have been made based on his plays: Hamlet, West Side Story, The Talented Mr. Ripley, Waterworld, Gladiator, Chocolat...

So I've been reading someone's blog today and while reading her words I can't help but think about dramatic people. I wonder if it's TV and movies that have made everyone think a dramatic personality is somehow original or cool. Don't get me wrong, I believe that humans, by nature, are pretty dramatic. I just think that when it gets to the point where the entire world can see through the facade, yet the person remains self unaware (?) that the whole thing has gone too far. I know a lot of dramatic people. For the most part I try to keep these people at an arm's length, but some are too close for that to be an option. I end up getting wrapped up in their problems and it's hard to unravel yourself without becoming an enemy. I don't see why people think they're all so unique in their angst. It seems to me that life has become one big tv show. People fabricate their own conflicts, resolutions, plot twists, and multiple story lines. Isn't life hard enough on its own? Why create drama where none has to exist? I mean all kinds of drama; disdain for other people, self pity, reading more into a situation than what is really there, etc. Get over it already. Personally, I'm not all that unique. I'm good to the people I love, indifferent to the ones I don't. I have good mood days and bad mood days. I wake up in the morning and go to bed at night. No wonder the dramatic people always feel sick and exhausted. I'm exhausted just reading about it!

I've felt this way for awhile, but I'm human and I still end up creating some unecessary drama anyway. Funny enough, my eyes have been opened by watching the series Tough Love on VH1. This is totally one of my new favorite shows. The show, in case you haven't seen it, puts a group of girls in a house with a matchmaker. He gives them guidance about dating, how men view their actions, etc. He's extremely blunt, but really not cruel. Several of the girls have a really hard time hearing these things about themselves and mistake his honesty for cruelty. They are the dramatic types who believe their "quirks" make them unique and that they should be loved regardless of their bad attitudes. If they're not, they blame the men for being pigs. Some of them have come along way by really examining their behavior and realizing, they're not doing themselve any favors. Others, have not. One of the girls on the show, Taylor, used to be the person I couldn't stand the most. She was snotty, self righteous, and would only date rich men. She's definitely not perfect now, but I'm shocked to see how normal she can really be. She seems to be a real human being that I just couldn't see. She revealed problems she's had before that she dealt with by creating this abrasive personality. I honestly felt bad that I had judged her so quickly. She is now one of my favorite people on the show. I decided I have to work harder to to see more in people than just how they act. Easier said than done, but I'll give it my best. :)

Now, for the moment you've all been waiting for...pictures from Texas! Ok, maybe it's just the moment I've been waiting for. I couldn't decide which ones to put on so they're pretty much all on here. I just love these kids so much!!!
Annie making her cute face.
Annie being adorable at Jason's Deli.
Annie being proud of her fairy costume.
Annie cuddling with me and watching Monsters, Inc. She then proceeded to roar and "scare" us all through lunch.
Annie loves the twisty slide at the playground.
Meli and me having fun on the slide.
Meli pausing for a breathe after running all helter skelter at the playground.
Meli playing with her toys. Tell me that smile isn't contagious!
Meli checking out my necklace at the airport.
Me and the girls at the airport. I love this picture even if my eyes are closed. Annie doesn't really smile for posed pictures, but Meli sure did!

Celeste and the girls at the airport.

Annie helping me put on lipgloss after she got in my purse and helped herself to some. :)

The picture Annie made for me at the airport proudly displayed on my fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment