Quick update! I went to the lab today to start round two of testing. The blood they took today (2 purple tubes) will be sent out for a histocompatibility test. The compatibility test basically compares the little ins and outs of my blood to my dad's so we can make sure nothing in his will reject mine. (Fine, if you want to know more of the technical such and such go here aaaaaand here)
Next up I have to complete the 24 hour pee test so all those who work with me will have to excuse me if I hold it until I can make it home. lol There are just certain things I don't want to handle outside of my own place if at all possible. That test will check my creatinine clearance. *Note* Take my advise from my last post and DO NOT mix up creatinine and creatine. Since I got confused, here's a little info for you on why this test is important:
"As the kidneys become impaired for any reason, the creatinine level in the blood will rise due to poor clearance by the kidneys. Abnormally high levels of creatinine thus warn of possible malfunction or failure of the kidneys. It is for this reason that standard blood tests routinely check the amount of creatinine in the blood. A more precise measure of the kidney function can be estimated by calculating how much creatinine is cleared from the body by the kidneys and it is referred to creatinine clearance." (source: here)
When I take that test back to the lab they'll also draw some more blood for a serum creatinine test. Using both tests, they'll be able to make sure I'm filtering out creatinine properly which will indicate that my kidneys are working right.
I like that they gave me a copy of the orders today so I could look up these tests and know what we're checking. I also find it interesting to be going through some of the same testing my dad has done. I know he's gone through a helluva lot more, but it kind of makes me feel like I can relate in a small way to some of what he's going through. Plus I'm actively doing something to help. Not everyone gets that opportunity when a loved one has an illness.
More updates to come...
Proud of you Shannon.
ReplyDelete