- We found out my dad had multiple myeloma and amyloids after he went to the doctor thinking he might have a kidney infection.
- Next there was much unpleasantness involving chemo, dialysis & a bone marrow transplant.
- We waited for his kidney functions to bounce back...they didn't.
- He had a fistula implanted in his arm and has continued dialysis 3 days a week for around 4 hours a pop.
- The doctors said, the kidneys aren't coming back but that the cancer was in remission and he could be a part of the kidney transplant program.
- Cheering all around.
- I decided to see if I was a match after realizing I'm the only immediate family member with the same blood type.
- I was.
- I researched to find out more about what a kidney donor could expect and I found out that while it's majory surgery, not without its risks, it is a lot less scary than I originally thought.
- I then realized I wanted my dad to live a better life and that I was willing to give a up a kidney to keep him around. (and feeling less ill)
- Testing was draaaaaaagged out until we finally got a new coordinator
- Holy cow surgery scheduled for next month! (This was in October)
- 1 week before surgery, "oh by the by, we found a brain tumor." 2 days before the surgery, "Sorry, no surgery."
- Tears, grumbles, and hissy fits all around (ok maybe I was the main hissy fitter)
- Brain surgery - the tumor is benign (oh yeah and it's been there awhile. Just some nice info to have)
- "One month of recovery and you can reschedule"
- One month later..."one more month and you can reschedule"
- A second month later...Come on!! How long does it take to get some friggin paperwork?!
...
...Pencils down please.
Yes! That is exactly 2 weeks. Holy whoa. We both really want to be functional by our birthdays (end of May) and this would be cutting it a liiiittle close. So I called him to see what he thought of that date. There was an unmistakable enthusiasm you would likely only notice if you knew him and recognized it's not his normal tone. It's a quiet, understated but powerful spark that touched my heart. You see, I'd been thinking that maybe we should wait until after birthday month so we can be sure we'll have enough oomph to celebrate. Duh Shannon. I haven't been doing dialysis and feeling miserable, depressed, and sick daily for roughly 2 and a half years now. That spark of hope in his words spoken without so much as a breath after I uttered the date, "Yeah! That will give me enough time to get coverage at work. Tell her that works"...I can't even relay it in type. I guess you had to be there. Point being, I remembered what it was all about. Sure it's been slower than thought and we've had our anticipation shattered once already. It's all been worth it to have the chance to get him well faster. The faster the better. I realize now it wouldn't matter if I had to walk a little slower or take it a little easier on my birthday. I'd have his life as my celebration and nothing beats that.
Shannon, you're the bomb! Seriously, that is really neat what you are doing for your dad. I am so happy that you two don't have to wait any longer. I hope all goes well for you both. You will definitley be in my prayers! Love ya!
ReplyDeleteMarci
OK. If you were to turn around just now (because we're both at work), you'd see me shedding a tear or two over this. I'm so glad you can do this for your dad. being the Daddy's girl I'am, I can visualize the conversations and your dads quiet hope.I've got my fingers crossed for you both (mentally. Two weeks is too long to keep them phycially crossed).
ReplyDeleteThanks so much Marci! We can always use more prayers. :)
ReplyDeleteDenise, you tender heart you! I'm so thankful to have people who can understand more than just the surface of this process. Thanks for your support!
i heart you the moistest!
ReplyDelete