Monday, January 28, 2013

We be craftin'!

Ok, I should say I be craftin'. I'm working on another post to show some of the bigger changes we've made to spruce up the ol' shoebox. (By that I mean apartment) After doing some major furniture moving, reorganizing, and cleaning, I was ready for a break for a couple of days. So I was lazy this weekend. I did some crocheting (click here for my latest project) and then a separate little Valentine's craft. I love VDay Decor and I want our place to look cuter. Even if it's totally cluttered, I want the clutter to be cute. So I dug through my big box o' crafting supplies and pulled out some goodies that have been hibernating in there since long before I was even married. One suggestion...make sure your glue gun hasn't gone kaput before starting up a new craft. Because the glue gun is magical. And if it doesn't work and you're smack dab in the middle of crafting you will say bad bad words that make your husband slowly back out of the room because he's expecting you to go all Snapped on him. (Yeah it was Sunday. And yeah I watch the Snapped marathon on Oxygen practically every Sunday. So what?) Where was I? Oh yeah, crafting. Glue gun. If you can't tell, my glue gun had decided to slowly and painfully die. So I wrestled from it one drop per 10 minutes of work and finally got it sorted out after several hours. Check it out!


I threw together your garden variety wooden crafting frame, scrapbook paper (I get the $5 giant books of them from Walmart), modgepodge, dollar store heart shaped doilies from like 3 years ago, twine wrapped around a scrap piece of paper cut into an L shape (this is where a working glue gun would have been more pleasant), and to make the flower I ruffled a strip of scrap fabric and a strip of a red plastic tablecloth I had saved. I realize that when I'm not following a specific pattern for something I tend to go a little overboard with the layers of effects and embellishments. I just don't have that editing eye that Tim Gunn preaches. Maybe I'll call him up and get some pointers. ;)

Tell me what you think. What other Valentine decor do you love creating and staring at all February long?

2 comments:

  1. yay! i wanna see some pics of what it looks like now!

    we be craaaaaaaaftin'. i was singing that but it's hard to tell when i'm typing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the picture of what it looks like now. Oh how sad my after looks like a before. lol

    ReplyDelete