Warning—This post contains copious amounts of mush. If you’re “like so over” girly, emotional Christmas stuff, I recommend skipping this one.
I have to say that this Christmas might go down as my favorite one of all time. I feel like I have been more fortunate than I deserve to be surrounded with the finest people on the planet. I’ve often contemplated this throughout the season and I feel a sharp pang of guilt that I haven’t expressed my gratitude enough. I doubt that the people in my world fully comprehend the enormity of the gratefulness I have so I’m going to use this post to point out just a few of the moments/people that have touched me this season.
Of course my number one has got to be my guy. I know, I know, gag a little. But seriously, he’s the best. I don’t think many people even realize just how awesome he is. A couple of examples:
• He is so good with kids and it’s genuine. He isn’t even sucking up! He treats my nieces and nephew no differently than his family and it’s evident they appreciate it by the fact that they kept asking where he was every time they saw me. I should be offended, but I’m proud.
• He is kind to my family. One night I told my mom I was meeting him for dinner and she looked at me with the expression that said “Get me out of this crazy place”. When I asked him if he minded that she come also, his immediate response was “of course she can come”. He doesn’t have to think twice about being good to them.
• He is good to me. I could write a book about the ways he is good to me, but don’t worry I’ll spare you. We have our fair share of misunderstandings, disagreements, and concerns but the difference is that he cares to overcome them. He is an amazing man.
Next up is my family. I had more family in town this year than ever before in my life. Many of you did not know that I have a half brother. He has only reached out to us sporadically, but recently has been in contact more. He is a great guy. Lots of fun, full of energy, and he has a very sweet heart. So when he said that he was going to visit for a few days I was so excited. We had a wonderful time and I hope he can come back more often. A couple of days later, my sister’s family came. I got to play with my 2 favorite kids in the world and my new nephew quickly added himself to the list. My heart aches when they have to leave because I know I will not get to see them again for quite awhile. That week I felt the closest to my family. I realized, to a level I never have before, why it is so hard for some people to live far away from their families. I gained an appreciation for that kind of closeness.
Of equal importance to my family are my friends. I have never been the type of person to have really close friends for always and forever. I’ve struggled in the past with my self esteem and wanting to belong more than anything. As such, I’ve made plenty of destructive friends in my life. I’ve mistaken those friendships as “close” when they were controlling and manipulative. I am so fortunate to have recognized how unhealthy these relationships are and I now avoid them at all costs. In their place I have the greatest friends anyone could ask for. There are my friends I don’t see all that often, but when I do, it’s like we were never apart. In a subcategory of that are my married friends. Because life is what it is, I don’t get to see them often, but I never fail to have a good uplifting time with them. Then there are my closest girl friends that I see most often and can’t get enough of. (You know who you are Kami and Alair!) They are the funniest, wisest, most creative, thoughtful, beautiful women. You just don’t get any better than them. Seriously folks! They know I’m a hopeless dork and they hang out with me anyway. I’m like Gonzo and all of my friends are the muppets. I’m the “whatever” and they’re the pigs, frogs, chickens, bears and things who love and accept me anyway.
I also have to mention my coworkers. I spend 8 hours a day with some of the coolest girls. They know my life, my moods, my ups and my downs. As B and D say, they’re my work wives. (I don’t know how they feel about their names being on blogs so I’ll abbreviate) Going up the line, there’s C who has the comfy chair by her desk. Her proverbial door is always open when I need to just get away and vent. She gets along with everyone and doesn’t roll her eyes when I keep asking her to work the late shift so I can have days off. Next is M who is probably the funniest of the crew. She is outgoing and always has an outrageous story. She is also incredibly generous. Don’t offer to make something for her to give as a gift because she won’t stop giving you money for it! After that we have cute J. J is my best customer! She is also our resident expert on all things organic and BPA free. My favorite part about J is the way she can express how annoyed she is at something and it comes out in the sweetest voice. After that is B. I’ve had some extra fun times with B and her family. She gave everyone gifts that were thoughtful and personal to them so, of course, I think mine was the best one. Seriously, though, who does that for their coworkers? And last, but certainly not least is D. D made the cutest little handmade gifts for Christmas. I squealed so high when I saw mine that I think I put all dogs in a 5 block radius on alert. She is my craft expert and my crochet manager. Each of these girls has a heart of gold. They all have very different personalities that make my workplace ever entertaining. If it weren’t for them I’d be even more crazy than I already am!
To wrap things up, here are a couple more random moments that reminded me that the world isn’t completely lost.
• There’s the Walmart customer I stood behind who bought the lady in line in front of her a chicken from the deli.
• There’s the lady who called into the radio station asking how she could enter to win a Christmas tree for their sub for Santa family and the DJ told her they would make sure they got one.
• There’s my BF’s friend whose family is kind, generous, and truly love everyone. They’re an inspiration to know.
No amount of lovely dovey word vomit can even scratch the surface of the goodness I’m privileged to have in my life. All I can say is THANK YOU to all of those people. Also a big, public THANK YOU to God and the University!
Awesome post! Merry Christmas and I hope you have a wonderful new year! Miss you!
ReplyDeleteyou're my MOST favorite. i'd even contemplate poisoning key lime pie for you. :D
ReplyDelete