Thursday, November 11, 2010

This Just In!

dum da du dum da du dum da dum....(think news music and typewriter sound effects)

Breaking News Folks!!! Ok so maybe it's not exactly "breaking" since I found out on Monday, but my head has been so foggy that I'm struggling with getting the word out. The surgery is scheduled!!! And soon too. I will no longer have 2 kidneys as of the 19th of November. I can hardly wrap my mind around it.

On Monday, my dad had an appointment with his cancer specialist. It was a follow up to see if the myeloma is in remission and to double check that he is still good for surgery. He had gotten a PET scan which showed something abnormal in the glucose metabolism of his pituitary gland. The doctor is not positive, but is pretty sure it's not the cancer since they found that it's in remission everywhere else. So he ordered an MRI to look into the gland and see what is happening. After that, my parents planned to take all of the test results and doctor's notes they had so far over to the transplant clinic to hand deliver them. I decided to meet up with them so I could tag along and hopefully meet the new coordinator. I took the afternoon off and met them up at Huntsman Cancer Institute. My mom told me that clinic had called and asked what we thought about scheduling the surgery for the Monday before Thanksgiving since the Tuesday before was booked. I thought that sounded pretty good. Then, while my dad was finishing up his MRI, they called him again. That time, they asked what we thought about the Friday before. We headed over to the clinic, signed a couple last papers, gave them test results and the bill from the CT scan, and finalized our 19th date. I was hoping we'd finalize a date, but it almost seemed unreal that we actually did. Next Monday I will go in for blood work. They have to be prepared with information about my blood in case I need a transfusion. Then next Wednesday I go in for more pre-op prep. Friday morning, dark and early, we'll be heading up to the Intermountain Medical Center to take care of business.

Like I mentioned before, my head has just been swimming. I'm trying to get Christmas presents taken care of before I'm down for the count. I also need to pack for the 4-5 days I'll be in the hospital (tell me anything you recommend I take!) and for the several weeks I'll be at my parents' recuperating. I have people watching my apartment during that time so don't try any funny stuffs! Plus I want to get a haircut, get together with some friends, get my nails done, etc. so that I feel somewhat good about myself while I'm doped up and laying in bed.

I'm nervous too, but not so much scared-nervous. Crazy things could always happen, but, I have a remarkably peaceful feeling that this is the right thing to do. I was going to say I have a feeling that nothing bad will happen, but that's not 100% honest. I have a slight fear of that still. That feeling, that this is right, somehow completly overshadows the fear and gives me strength.

So wish me luck folks! I'll still keep posting with my experiences, but we're almost to the next leg of the journey (so to speak). Crazy times!

5 comments:

  1. What hospital are you going to be staying for that couple days? I imagine it's going to be up in the grouping of hospitals by the U. I live up there and would love to stop by for a hello.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in awe of you! You are doing such a wonderful thing for your Dad!
    Make sure you pack any electronics you like to play with, ie: lap top, phone, MP3 Player, etc. and make sure you take the charging cords. Take a book or two, magazines, maybe your own pillow, robe, slippers, all your shower stuff. I've only been in the hospital having babies but this is the stuff I took and used. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. we will take care of you!!! the nephers will prevail! i love you shanny shan shan, more than you know. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks you guys! You know I love you too Kams!

    So I'll be at the Intermountain Medical Center in Murray. Or as my dad calls it, the death star. I would LOVE if you could visit Amanda! It would be way fun to see you. I'm thinking of having a get together on Monday. Sort of a Goodbye kidney party so there will be that too.

    Rachelle, you rock. Those are really great ideas, especially the chargers. One of the things I always forget are chargers and the laptop would really help keep me from being too bored. I went on my lunch break and threw those puppies on the list of stuff to remember. I would love it if you could visit too. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would definately come visit!! I'll bring something you love, just let me know. Flowers, shake, chicken nuggets..whatever, just name it!

    ReplyDelete