Monday, January 31, 2011

Yeesh

The title pretty much expresses my feelings at the moment. My poor father cannot seem to catch a break. I just don't know how he deals with everything without falling to pieces. Maybe part of it is that he's a guy and inherently less emotionally strung out. Maybe it's his nursing that helps him see the medical and logical side to his situation. Or hell, maybe he's falling apart and is waaaay better at hiding it than I would be. I have no clue. But as you can probably guess at this point, he's had his follow up appointment with the brain doctor.

It's not the update we were hoping for, but I guess any update is better than no update. The medication he was taking to try to shrink the brain tumor has done nothing. zip, zero, nada. He could keep trying different dosages, but something should have happened at this point. First I'll go all silver lining here and say at least they didn't say the tumor is bigger. That I am grateful for, but the medication did NOTHING. That is, nothing but make him feel sick. Sicker I mean. Ugh. So it's on to surgery. He's scheduled to have the tumor removed on February 8th. If all goes well, we'll be able to start talking about rescheduling kidney surgery about a month after that.

Now personally, when I heard the news, some choice words flew out of my mouth. Luckily I was alone. Anyone with me probably would have been scarred for life. Later that night my parents dropped by my place for a minute. I asked him how he was doing with the news and he just shrugged in a "whatcha gonna do" kind of way. It's true that you do what you can and hope for the best. But how he can keep that point of view being the one who's going through the experience amazes me. The man's an inspiration. All the more reason to do anything to keep him around!

No comments:

Post a Comment