Monday, April 13, 2009

He Who Sings Scares Away His Woes. ~Cervantes

Music is the medicine of the breaking heart. ~Leigh Hunt

Music is what feelings sound like. ~Author Unknown

Were it not for music, we might in these days say, the Beautiful is dead. ~Benjamin Disraeli

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. ~Berthold Auerbach

Music's the medicine of the mind. ~John A. Logan

You are the music while the music lasts. ~T.S. Eliot

Music is the shorthand of emotion. ~Leo Tolstoy

Music produces a kind of pleasure which human nature cannot do without. ~Confucius

Sensing a theme? It's been a rough last week or so for me. I won't go into detail or this entry will be way off from the point I'm thinking about. When your heart and soul are left empty, aching, and raw, the closest thing to comfort has to be music. I've never been much of a poetry reader, I have a hard time even caring to interpret some of the off-the-wall poems they show you in English class, but some of the most beautiful poetry I've ever heard is put to music. Simon and Garfunkle, for example, are some of the most talented poets ever.


Bookends
Time it was, and what a time it was, it was
A time of innocence, a time of confidence
Long ago, it must be, I have a photograph
Preserve your memories, they're all that's left you


The entire song is only four lines long, but what power and feeling in those four simple lines. Add the beautiful music and it's only a moment long, but it sticks with you for a lifetime. How must it be to be able to put feelings into a song in such a way that it resonates with millions and transcends time? Now that's talent.

So I have to be thankful for music, the outlet of the soul. I don't know how anyone could ever function without it.

No comments:

Post a Comment