The title quote is by Thomas Alva Edison and I keep it up at my desk at work. I wrote this other quote up on my whiteboard a million years ago (ok maybe a couple of months ago) and just barely read it again this weekend.
"He who argues for his limitations gets to keep them."-Richard Bach.
How many times have I made excuses why I can't do something or felt inadequate even when I do something well? How often am I annoyed at other people for doing the same? I have to wonder how it became so human to be so self-deprecating. It's almost like it's a sin to be happy about yourself. We had an awesome workshop in TPS Academy this weekend that focused on interpretation of songs and how to convey the story to the audience. One of my favorite parts, though, was where Anne (the guest instructor) mentioned how guilt is not helpful. She said "You can't expect to please everyone when you get up there, so why try to please anyone?" I had never really thought about that before. Now, of course, she's not meaning you shouldn't try your very best and put your all into your work. It's just that if you're not worried about who's happy and who's not, you can be more genuine in your performance. You give what you've got inside of you and if it resonates with one person, you're a success. I think this carries into all areas of life really.
Of course that carried into Heather's advice of saying the words "Not Helpful" out loud when you're putting yourself down. So many great quotes and words of wisdom. Now I just have to figure out a way to remember them when I need them! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment