Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Christmas Follow Up 1

I'm numbering these posts because I honestly didn't count how many projects I did and I'm curious to see. Of course this blog won't include all the crochet projects because those bad boys go to the crochet blog. Since my camera is still being funky, I'm going to post the projects whose pictures I downloaded pre-funk.


I was looking at the blog UCreate which is one of those where they post crafts other people have done and then you can go to their site for the tutorial. While I was there, I saw this cuteness. Unfortunately, I'm painfully short on wood and all tools meant to create with wood. Sure I could go buy these things, but I was trying to SAVE money this year so that sorta defeats the purpose. What I'm left to do in those cases is work with what I've got. In this case, it happened to be paper. A couple of months ago I looked up how to make a paper origami box so I could use it as a gift box for a present for Jeff's niece.



Don't ask why it says Rob and Shannon. If you're Jeff's family, though, you already know.


 
See, told you so! Not too shabby eh?

I thought paper boxes would work just great. Because of the laws of physics, though, I knew I'd have to make a stand. (Thanks a lot Newton! Couldn't you keep that gravity junk to yourself?)  Too bad I'm lazy. I bet it would have been even better with a well drawn out plan to start, but here's what I came up with.


I got a simple cheap wood board at JoAnn's I think. It was just a couple of dollars. Then I covered it in a thin layer of batting and white muslin. I went so far as to iron teh fabric even. That's what you get when I'm makng presents people, detail. I stapeled all of that to the back of the board but this of course left staples and wood visible.

I did mention that I get a little paranoid about details when I'm making presents right? I had to cover that up so I cut out a piece of posterboard that I had laying around and hot glued it to the back.

Apparently I took approximately 10 pictures of the process of stapling fabric to a board but completely neglected to take pictures of the rest of the process. After the board was ready I made three different sizes of paper boxes using the most basic form of origami known to man. I thought blue would look nice and wintery so I grabbed a few sheets of paper I already had that I thought might coordinate. The middle box got a few buttons hot glued on. The top box got cut outs of a face. I forgot that the shadowbox snowman only had a nose, but adding the face and arms made mine a little more whimiscal I think. Anyway, enough excuses, after that I went outside and found a couple of twigs from the pine tree outside my apartment. Hot glue the whole shebang together and onto the board and we're done. Except...that the board still seemed a little empty. So I glued on some stuffins too. What's a snowman without snow?!


And here you can see where the one I kept is currently residing. (The other one went to Kami's mom who gave me the cutest little Santa pillow last year that I'm still not over it.) He now has one arm missing thanks to my general lack of grace, but it does make him look like he's a friendly snowman veteran waiving at all who come to visit him. Maybe I should give him to Kami to put on her desk at work. (I'm not being rude I promise, I genuinely do admire Vets, especially those who get by with less than what they were born with) Oddly enough, I'm kind of digging this look. We'll have to see if the second arm even makes its way back into his life.

"Y'all come back now ya hear?!"

3 comments:

  1. Those are cute! I dig the friendly one arm wave a lot. I feel the love across the vastness of the internet. Very creative. So, at what point do you want to come help this hopeless case decorate her house?! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw thanks Amanda! I wish I could say the rest of my apartment was decorated too, but sadly this is like the only spot. You're always welcome to come hang out on crochet night and do crafty stuff with us though. We do it every Thursday while we watch Dexter and it's a fun girl's night. The big difference is that we're not your typical "Surper Saturday" type crafts people. Let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yay! you can post your projects now! even though i've seen them all, i can't help but love them when they've been blogified. :)

    ReplyDelete