Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Gahhhhh!!

First off, 2 days in a row. Booyah! Ok in to my mini freak out. It's a good freak out though. Lemme splain. I mentioned before that my position at work is temporary. I should give a little more detail. I'm an assistant manager right now and the management structure is changing over the next little bit. Basically the assistant manager role is split between two existing positions making my job obsolete. So sad huh? Well this leads me to a fork in the road. Actually a couple if forks. Now I've been with my company for 9 whole years! It's been, all in all, pretty good for me. At this juncture, I will have a choice to make between a demotion which would strip me of most of my management role or to aim for a promotion which would keep me in management but would center my role around an area I'm by entirely comfortable with. I've loved the management piece and everyone keeps telling me how well I'm doing at it. The piece I'm not so comfy cozy with? The dreaded sales. Dun dun duuuuuun! I've been reluctant to even consider going for that role because I did sales for awhile and I am able to humbly admit that I am no national achiever. Those skills don't come naturally to me. So yeah. As of now I've been like, well I'm just barely into this role and don't have it all figured out yet and yadda yadda. But if I think harder I realize it doesn't matter that I haven't because my role will cease to exist soon.

That was a long backstory, sorry. My point is that I'm so fortunate to have some good mentors around me. My current manager helped me prepare for this position and we had a great talk today about management. She shared that she had similar fears but she's learned that you don't have to be the best at it to manage it. You have to be able to connect people with the right resources to help them. Duh Shannon. She didn't say that part but I did. Um excellent point. So it's got me thinking differently. Do I skip out on an opportunity to try something new because of fear? I've kicked myself before because of it. She also said hey, you can always apply and interview just for the experience of it and to see if that's something you'd want to be looking at in the future. Another excellent point! 

So folks, I think I'm going I take a deep breathe, swallow the knot in my throat and throw my hat in the ring. Who knows what will happen but I can't imagine anything bad can come of it. Here's to being brave!!

Oh yeah and here are pictures of the awesome poster my staff and manager made for me after I had a crazy day yesterday. It's the best ever! My peeps are too cool. 


1 comment: