Sunday, April 13, 2014

Yep I said it and I'm not even sorry

I'm sick of apologizing for using the B word. I use it practically daily at home but I feel like I can't say it in public. I'm completely comfortable using it myself and even though some people say it brings negativity into their lives, I get nothing but satisfaction from it. There was a time when the B word didn't have such a negative connotation to it. Nowadays you can't even hint that you use it or people get judgemental on you. I  don't even feel like I can admit to using it here in my own personal blog. What has this world come to?

Well I'm here today to be brave. I'm going to say it loud and proud.












BUTTER!!!!!!!!!


Ahhhh what a relief! It's good to be out with it. Hold up, did you think I was talking about this B word?


Hey! Who you callin a B word?

She is definitely one of those B words more often than not, but that wasn't the word I mean to reference here and now. 

No I'm talking about butter and cream and sugar and all of those delicious items that add oomph to a meal. Seriously though, tell someone, anyone, that you use butter in your everyday cooking and watch their face scrunch with disdain. There is so much emphasis on "healthy" food that no food is ever good enough anymore. Someday I hope to raise my meat, learn to make cheeses and butter from fresh milk, and grow much of my own veggies, but let's be honest with ourselves. It ain't happening tomorrow. And I will never be 100% self sustained.

So I'm taking it old school and if it kills me, well then we'll all learn a valuable lesson not to listen to me. In the meantime, I'm cooking more meals than I eat out (for the most part my husband is cooking but you get the idea). I'm cooking my vegetables as the desire arises. So long as I get a bunch in me, who cares? Maybe raw veggies have more nutrients but I'll be happy with any nutrients honestly. I eat home grown veggies in the summer because they're yummy and I get immense pleasure from gardening. But the rest of the time I'm grabbing a giant tub of spinach from Sams. I still buy what I don't grow from the regular old grocery store too. I put cream in my coffee and butter on my toast (and in my baking and on my veggies and pretty much anywhere). It tastes delicious. There's nothing else like it. 

So how can I do all of these things that are so frowned upon in our society and still hold my head up high? I realize that as I do these things, I naturally crave more good than bad. I went from a few glugs of non dairy creamer and a gallon of sugar in my coffee to a dollop of real cream and a couple teaspoons of regular sugar. It's still sweet but not AS sweet as it was in the past. When we cook at home we make things from scratch. I used to cook at home when I was single which typically involed a box of hamburger helper or a seasoning packet of some sort. Sodium city! As we cook now, we control the levels of sodium and other ingredients that go into the food. And I no longer enjoy prepackages meals drowned in salt. Through no preconceived plans of ours, both of us are now disenchanted with restaurants. Heated then Reheated, frozen then fried, packed with sodium to preserve and add flavor where there once was none and we spend hard earned money to eat it too. What a mess! 

So I'll have my cake and eat it too. I'll eat whatever I want knowing that what I want is a higher ratio of good and a lower ratio of junk. As new trends in health food develop, I'll try them out! But not to the exclusion of everything else. If I like it and it finds a place in my diet, great! (Eg. Quinoa) If I try it and like it but it doesn't fall into my life right away, I'll enjoy it when I can and eventually it might sneak in and make itself comfortable in my routine. (Eg. Juicing) If I don't like it, then I don't have energy to waste on worrying about it. (Eg. anything depriving me of meat) 

I will continue respecting and learning from others whose diets are different than mine. We're all different so why should the same thing accommodate all of us? But I do look forward to a day when my middle of the line diet is more accepted. I mean, my husband and I aren't going to win any cross fit competitions but we're both rather healthy overall. And I'm totally ok with that. Just as I am totally ok with dry beef curry over rice with roasted Brussels sprouts and French bread. 


Yep, it's not a shabby life.



No comments:

Post a Comment